Pages

Tuesday 12 February 2013

How to Make a "Smug Holder"

So for Christmas this year, I decided to make Mr MFC a special holder for all of his bibs and medals. The man is so great, he has started to collect a fair few.

I know it's a bit late for Christmas, but Valentine's Day is coming up, and it makes a great gift for a significant other. Plus, the materials are really cheap and it's super simple to make (don't tell Mr MFC that, though)!

You will need a plank of wood, a couple of clothes pegs, superglue, and a bunch of nails. You might want paint as well to make it pretty, but that's entirely optional.

All my projects seem to start with a plank of wood...

 First, I checked that the wood fitted the bibs.

They did, hurrah!

I decided to make an explosive design, so roughly drew it on with a pencil...

You can see my other Christmas shopping in the back there...

To give it a real professional feel, I thought it would be an idea to make the edges straight and clean with some masking tape...


Next, I sourced some sample paint that I had bought for another project a couple of years ago. It had been sitting in my drawer for a while, but thankfully the paint was still good.

Who needs a mixing palette when you have a Sainsbury's invoice?!

Next - painting!!!

Looks a bit rubbish at this point

The masking tape worked a treat.

Starting to look awesome...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Boo yah.

I waited for the paint to dry, then I superglued on the pegs and hammered in some nails at the bottom. 


And here is the finished article:


I'm really pleased with the way it came out, and so is Mr MFC. He worked so hard to earn those medals, so it's only right that he gets to show them off in style!

No comments:

Post a Comment