Pages

Tuesday 28 February 2012

My First Attempt at Scones


There's no doubt I get my love of baking/cooking/eating from my Mum. When I was growing up, the house constantly smelled of yummy things rising in the oven. Cookies, cupcakes (or as we called them back then, fairy cakes), shortbread... you name it, she baked it. And nailed it. 

One of my very favourites, though, was scones. However, while I was trying to get healthy last year, I think I repressed my love for them. 

But that love was rekindled last week when my Mum sent me home with a freshly baked batch. Needless to say, the scones didn't survive the day. Mr MFC and I demolished them all within hours. 

It was clear what I had to do. I had to learn to make them. 

So yesterday when I went to see her, I begged for the recipe and a spare scone cutter. She gracefully obliged, and I had a crack at them today.



Not ideal. They are a little flat, and those little cracks you can see on the top tells me that I had my oven temperature set a little too high. But hey, those are just aesthetics really. They still tasted pretty good. And because they were so small, the calorie count wasn't too bad, either.

Oven Scones

You will need:

225g self raising flour
1/2 teasp salt
1/2 teasp baking powder
50g caster sugar
50g butter
100ml milk

First, pop your oven on to 220C /gas mark 7. I have an assisted fan oven so I set it to 200C instead, but next time I'm going to set it even lower to avoid those little unsightly cracks at the top.

Then, grease and flour your baking tray. Or if you're lazy, like me, pop a bit of baking parchment on it to save on the washing up. ;)

Mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Then, rub the butter into the flour until you have a grainy mix. Add your sugar and gradually add the milk until you get a soft dough. You might not need the whole 100ml, so keep a close eye on your mix. If you are a bit over-zealous with the milk, you'll get a super sticky mixture. However, this can be rectified with a little extra flour.

Flour a large surface and turn your mixture out onto it. Roll out, and cut into rounds using a scone cutter. 



I think this is where I went wrong, I rolled the dough out too thinly and that's why my scones came out tiny. Learn from my mistakes and keep your dough fairly thick so your scones rise nice and tall.

Pop them onto your baking tray and dust lightly with flour. Then bake for around 10-15 minutes, or until the scones are lovely and golden brown.

I got 13 out of this mix, so if yours are a similar size they should have around the same nutritional values:

Calories: 95
Fat: 3 grams
Sat Fat: 2 grams

NOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment