Pages

Monday 19 August 2013

A love letter to yoghurt

Back in May this year, I went to Crete for a week with Mr MFC for a much needed dose of vitamin D. Although, if I say I go on holiday simply for the sunshine, I would be lying. I go on holiday to indulge. I'm sorry. I spend 51 weeks out of the year trying to eat what is best, so sue me if I can't take a week off to enjoy myself.

The Greek food is amazing. I love noshing on gyros (shredded lamb with pitta bread and tsatsiki), moussaka and souvlaki (pork on a stick. glorious). When I'm not eating, I am normally lazing at a seaside bar working through a cocktail that is bigger than my head.

Mmm artificial colourings!
Without a doubt, my favourite Greek cuisine was the yoghurt. Every morning I was away, I would start my day with a big dollop of luxuriously thick yoghurt and lashings of gorgeous sweet honey. Mmmmmm yummy!

Now don't get me wrong, I have always really liked yoghurt, but recently I have really ramped up my affair, slurping down at least one portion a day.

Lidl do a 500ml pot of really smooth yogurt for 50p, and it's enough to last me about five days (none of this "consume within three days of opening" nonsense). I sometimes have it the Greek way, with yoghurt, but recently I have been experimenting with yoghurt and fruit. For example:

Yogurt with Blueberries

Yoghurt with Tinned Mandarins
Basically, any kind of fruit I have lying around, I'll just chuck it in and see what happens. I haven't been disappointed yet, it goes great with peach, nectarine, strawberries, pineapple...

I also love the fact that yoghurt is full of protein, so added with the fibre from the fruit you get a really satisfying snack/ after dinner treat! And the scale rarely tips 100 kcals. Bonus.

But enough about me, how do you take your yoghurt? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment