Pages

Saturday 23 March 2013

Drugged up March

I know these moany posts aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I have to vent. Plus, it's my blog, so screw it. If you don't like it, go and read someone else's blog! (I don't mean that, sorry. Please stay. I love all my readers. Sit down, I'll make you a cup of tea. JUST DON'T LEAVE ME!!!)

Anyway. The ankle still hurts. BAH.

Don't get me wrong, there is a definitely a vast improvement from when I stopped running six weeks ago, but it's not the complete miraculous recovery I was hoping for.

I went to the orthopaedic assessment clinic as planned, but unfortunately it wasn't as fruitful as I was hoping it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, the doctor was lovely, but she hadn't really told me anything I hadn't heard already. Just the usual "nothing wrong with the ankle structure, WOW your biomechanics are screwed, here are some exercises, give it time... blah blah blah..."

Well guess what, I have given it time. I have given it time with bells on. I have paid my dues, I am fed up and I want to get running again NOW!!!

So you could say I was pretty bummed. Shortly after I went back to my physio/psycho therapist and vented. I think she was relieved that there was nothing there that she had missed, and that she had been right in thinking there was nothing wrong with the ankle structure itself. That got me thinking... is there any way that this could just be a chronic niggle with no physiological purpose? Quite possibly, she replied.

If that's the case, maybe I should shift my focus from healing my ankle injury (when there isn't anything to heal) to breaking the psychosomatic pain feedback cycle that it has left behind. So, I have started on a simple course of ibuprofen to block the pain for two weeks, and hopefully once I come off them, my stupid brain will realise the pain served no purpose and will block it out for good. Well... that is the plan anyway. :)

I've done "no run February".... so I am following it up with "Drugged up March!"

Hmm, maybe need to work on the name a bit. It sounds like I have lost it a little... Nevermind. You all know what I mean.

Besides, I have a 10k at the end of May to train for so I have to get started up again pretty soon. I've spotted a good training plan by Bupa that should get me 10k fit again, but it takes 8 weeks, which means ideally I should be up and going for it in about 10 days.

But, I'll just wait and see if the ibuprofen plan works before I make a solid decision. I'm sure I'll get there one way or another ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment