Pages

Saturday 14 September 2013

Ham and Lentil Soup

Another soup recipe, yay!

This is an old favourite in the MFC household. It's really simple to make, Mr MFC loves it and it's hella cheap.



It's my grandma's recipe, who passed it down to my mum, who passed it on to me, and I will definitely be passing it on to my kids. Its an absolute essential for any adult to have in their recipe arsenal, if you ask me.

Ham and Lentil Soup (for 4)

1 litre of stock made from ham or vegetable cubes
100g lentils
1 onion chopped or (if you're lazy like me) sliced
4/5 slices of ham (cheap sandwich slices work just fine)
2 carrots, grated or chopped

1) Bung everything in a pot and bring to the boil


2) Put the pot lid on and simmer for an hour

Here's one I made earlier
3) Er... that's it. Done. 

It's really that simple. Not only that, the only really essential ingredients in this recipe are the stock and the lentils. Everything else is optional. 

Bearing that in mind, assuming you get just basic stock cubes and a bag of lentils, this soup just works out at roughly 7p per portion. I'm serious, I've worked it out and everything!!!

Basic pack of 10 stock cubes cost 20p, and a 500g of lentils costs £1.09 (from Tesco, which we have already established may not always be the cheapest). That's enough to make 5 batches, which is 20 portions. 

£1.29/20 = 7p (or 6.45p to be more precise). 

Any excuse to reference Breaking Bad, really.
So next time someone moans at you that "eating healthy is too expensive", do me a favour and slap that in their faces. 

...oh I almost forgot! Nutritionals!

kcals: 135
fat: 1g
sat fat: 0.2g

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment