Pages

Monday 30 July 2012

Fitness DVD Review: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism

Okay, so it's time for me to review another of Jillian Michael's fitness DVDs.

I love this lady. About a month ago, I bought a box set of her workouts, and I have really enjoyed working through them. Each has its own focus and its own benefits to bring to the table, and I've definitely seen an uplift in my overall fitness as a result of them.

I've already reviewed No More Trouble Zones, so this time I'm going to talk about Banish Fat: Boost Metabolism.


I'm sorry to say that this one is the one I probably use the least, which is a shame because in terms of enjoyment, this one is hella fun.

So why do I not take it for a spin more often? Well, the focus of this workout is cardio. This DVD aims to get your heart rate up, your metabolism ticking and makes you burn calories like an absolute powerhouse. Remind you of anything?

Yup, you pretty much get the same effect from going out for a run. And as I have mentioned so many times before, I am above everything else, a runner. So why on earth would I jump around my front room like a loon when I can go for a nice jog in my local park?

Don't get me wrong, this workout is awesome. But it just doesn't get me in the same kind of sweat as a good ol' fashioned dash does. Nevertheless, it does have its moments: like the mornings I wake up and it's pouring outside; or when I have a niggling injury that couldn't withstand a fully fledged run. It's a great alternative in those situations.

Just like in No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat: Boost Metabolism is comprised of seven six minutes circuits, each having a slightly different theme. So what does the workout entail?

1. Kickboxing

Squats and side kicks
Alternating punches
Squats and side kicks
Punch and hook combination
Alternating front kicks

2. Plyometrics

Burpies
Plie hops
Punch hop combination
180° Jumps
Single leg hops

3. Calisthenics

Butt kicks
High knees
Jumping jacks
Oblique crunches

4. Core

Mountain climbers
Supermans
Pipe crunch
Oblique twists
Walking plank

5. More kickboxing

Swing kicks
Uppercuts
Back kicks
Jab cross combination
Knee crunches

6. More plyometrics

Jump squats
Cross country skiing
Scissor kicks
Skaters
Standing mountain climbers

7. More calisthenics

Moguls
Standing pipes
Knee crunches
Jump rope

Guaranteed, your heart rate will be up, and you'll be burning fat in no time. If you're just starting out, this is a great place to begin cardio training. And if it's calorie burn you're after, then this workout certainly delivers. I burn about 500 kcals a session, however your burn will be slightly different depending on your gender, age and build.

Doesn't beat going out for a run, though. Well, in my humble opinion, anyway ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment