Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

My Awesome 5k Mix!

First, an apology. I've been banging on so much about the 30 Day Shred (level 3 update coming soon, by the way) that you'd be forgiven for thinking that I've let other stuff fall by the wayside.

But never fear, dear reader! I'm still ploughing away at my running, and I actually have some pretty awesome news on that front.

Basically, I do a couple of 30 minute runs during the week and do a longer run at the weekend. Well. I always track how far I go in those 30 minute runs, and I'm pleased to report that I've got to the stage where I'm consistently covering over 5k in those 30 minutes!

Anyone who has done the Couch to 5k plan will know what a huge achievement that is. While the plan is the best thing since sliced unicorn farts, I must admit the title is a bit misleading. The goal of Couch to 5k isn't to get you running 5k, but rather to get you running 30 minutes non-stop. The distance you cover in that time is pretty much down to your own ability. I think when I finished the plan, I was covering about 3.5 to 4k. Not that I cared. I was running 30 minutes non-stop, baby. :)

But recently I have been focusing on my speed, and consciously forcing myself to push harder in order to get that extra few metres in, and I can see my perseverance paying off. Now I can say that I am officially a Couch to 5ker!!! :D

So to celebrate, I've been having a tinker on Spotify and have come up with this little 30 minute playlist, which is enough for me to cover the 5k. In real life I like alternative rock, ska punk and other random stuff, but I must admit, I like a good beat when I'm running. So, this music might be a bit chavvy for some, but stuff it, I'm not going to plod along to music that doesn't motivate me.



It starts with a moderately paced track to get me into my rhythm, then I crank it up a notch when my muscles get warmed up. The playlist finishes with a cool down track, which in this case is Incubus' 'Wish You Were Here', which doesn't really fit in with the playlist but I don't give two hoots, because it's one of my favourite songs ever.

Anyway. Enjoy!

Edit: OH! I'd also love to hear what you guys listen to. So please share your favourite workout track in the comments. I'm always up for hearing new beats!

No comments:

Post a Comment